- 1(Of an animal) feeding on insects, worms, and other invertebrates.More example sentences
- Herbivorous, granivorous and insectivorous birds have a highly specialized, muscular gizzard with an inner lining of hard cuticle.
- Thomisids are among the favourite prey of insectivorous birds and other invertebrates.
- Contrary to popular belief, bats are not helpless on the ground or in the water, and some insectivorous species feed on ground-dwelling insects as much or more than they feed on insects captured in flight.
- 1.1(Of a plant such as the sundew) able to capture and digest insects.More example sentences
- There, while hunting for the rare bog orchid, he stumbled on the minuscule, insectivorous sundew plant, Drosera rotundifolia.
- The Venus flytrap is a must for boys who enjoy watching the insectivorous plant capture its prey - usually a housefly - before devouring it over several days.
- It's as if memory functions like some swift and rapacious insectivorous plant.
More definitions of insectivorousDefinition of insectivorous in:
- The US English dictionary