Definition of insufferable in English:
1Too extreme to bear; intolerable: the heat would be insufferable by July
More example sentences
- More cars blocking the arterial routes into Leeds have led to an insufferable increase in journey times for some commuters, a new report has found.
- The many hours that Scott had to bear without knowing at all what was happening were insufferable.
- If this level of population growth were to happen in Laois, an insufferable burden will be placed on people living in the county.
intolerable, unbearable, unendurable, insupportable, unacceptable, oppressive, overwhelming, overpowering, impossible, not to be borne, past bearing, too much to bear, more than one can stand, more than flesh and blood can stand, enough to try/test/tax the patience of a saint;
unspeakable, dreadful, excruciating, grim, outrageous
informal too much
1.1Having or showing unbearable arrogance or conceit: an insufferable bully
More example sentences
- He describes the behavior of these insufferable boors.
- The stone pages of the law have, by definition, become the absolute of literature, thus achieving a dominion over the literary world of which everyday insufferable literary critics can only dream.
- Ivory, once an insufferable middlebrow pedant, has officially become a walking anachronism - and I, for one, am damn grateful.
conceited, arrogant, boastful, cocky, cocksure, full of oneself, above oneself, self-important, immodest, swaggering, strutting;
vain, self-satisfied, self-congratulatory, pleased with oneself, self-loving, in love with oneself, self-admiring, self-regarding, smug, complacent
- insufferableness noun
- Example sentences
- The insufferableness is handled quite competently by the other young performers, whose spoiled, snot-nosed characters give the necessary sting to Dahl's cautionary narrative about the dangers of lazy, indulgent parenting.
- Pop music has no purer form of insufferableness than the I-love-my-child motif.
- And then there was this matter of Jane's illness and the insufferableness of her mother's hints and schemes.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.