Definition of intelligent in English:
1Having or showing intelligence, especially of a high level: Anna is intelligent and hard-working an intelligent guess
More example sentences
- He said that the media knew about the uniform floor rates and the increase in taxes was an intelligent guess.
- Backs can make intelligent guesses at what needs to be done; forwards just know it.
- Tina appears shy at first, but underneath that is a very hardworking, intelligent girl.
clever, bright, brilliant, sharp, quick, quick-witted, quick on the uptake, smart, canny, astute, intuitive, thinking, acute, alert, keen, insightful, perceptive, perspicacious, penetrating, discerning;
(be intelligent) informal have a good head on one's shoulders, there are no flies on …
British informal know how many beans make five
North American informal whip-smart
rational, capable of thought, higher-order
1.1(Of a device or building) able to vary its state or action in response to varying situations and past experience.
- Yet when it comes to our homes the future has already happened and intelligent houses have become a reality.
- So if you're the intelligent user of these super intelligent gadgets, you can rest easy.
- The show, and it is a show, features intelligent lighting and a state of the art sound system.
Early 16th century: from Latin intelligent- 'understanding', from the verb intelligere, variant of intellegere 'understand', from inter 'between' + legere 'choose'.
- Example sentences
- In the sleeve notes he writes intelligently about the profound personal experience of his first trip to Moscow to make the recording.
- This is a man who does not just spout opinions, however, he is a man with thoughts who, when pressed, shares them intelligently.
- It was all done intelligently and compassionately, and remains a relief operation of which the nation deserved to feel proud.
Words that rhyme with intelligentindigent • negligent
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan