(also interneurone /-rəʊn/)
Definition of interneuron in English:
A neuron which transmits impulses between other neurons, especially as part of a reflex arc.
- The cells that responded to nerve stimulation were most likely principal neurons and not interneurons, because fast excitatory postsynaptic potentials were recorded in these cells.
- The medial stripe, nearest the midline, which becomes the ventral region of the neural tube, gives rise to motor neurons, whereas the lateral stripes give rise to interneurons and sensory neurons.
- The exact mechanism of action is not known, but activation of the spinal interneurones or adrenergic neurones, which inhibit bladder activity, has been postulated.
- Example sentences
- But the scan is not yet at a high enough resolution to recreate the interneuronal connections, synapses and neurotransmitter concentrations that are the key to capturing the individuality within a human brain.
- Hanson has shown that amphetamines increase the concentration of catecholamines in the synaptic cleft by stimulating their release from the interneuronal storage vesicles.
- Our interneuronal connections in our brain, for example, process information at chemical signaling speeds of a few hundred feet per second, compared to a billion feet per second for electronics - electronics is a million times faster.
Definition of interneuron in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan