Definition of interpenetrate in English:
Mix or merge together: [no object]: the two concepts interpenetrate in interesting ways [with object]: fibres of meaning interpenetrate every strand of sound
More example sentences
- Second, as questions of both national and societal security merge and interpenetrate, it is clear that possessing a reactive operational strategy alone is inadequate as a means of deterrence.
- Religion and art are tightly bound together, interpenetrating each other.
- The layer closest to the user is a polypropylene non-woven material; there then follows a polyester non-woven and cross linked cellulosic material which are bonded together to the extent only that a few fibres interpenetrate.
- Example sentences
- He kept in view both the material and the symbolic, the public and private, the ‘outer’ culture and ‘inner’ psyche, while also insisting on the interpenetrations between these terms.
- Thus, the knife opening up a wound in flesh is an attribute of the interpenetration of bodies, but the event of ‘being cut’ is what is expressed by the statement ‘He was cut with the knife’.
- The interpenetration of these relationships between politicians, senior civil servants and private business is what ultimately paralyses the State in its endeavour to economic development.
- Example sentences
- By ‘sacred’ I mean numinous, animated by an interpenetrative spirit, with value and meaning independent of what we humans assign it.
- At the end of a great symphony there is the sense that the music has grown by the interpenetrative activity of all its constituent elements.
- The temporal dimension concerns the interpenetrative nature of what are commonly perceived as distinct phases of time.
Definition of interpenetrate in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan