Definition of intersex in English:
1The abnormal condition of being intermediate between male and female; hermaphroditism.
- Over 90 percent of those born intersex are assigned female, regardless of chromosomes.
- The recommendation bucks the current practice of performing immediate ‘assignment’ surgery for most of the roughly one in 4,000 babies born intersex, many with both male and female traits.
- Susan Jobling from Brunel University is a key researcher on the feminisation of male fish, a condition known as intersex.
1.1 [count noun] An intersex individual; a hermaphrodite.
- Equally unclear were implications of another qualitatively different class of intersex: ‘true intersexes,’ in which even individual cells displayed a sexually intermediate phenotype.
- Triploid intersexes present an interesting genotype with two X chromosomes and three sets of autosomes.
- Males of line 9a with one copy of the transgene did not undergo a complete somatic sex transformation and developed as intersexes.
Definition of intersex in:
- US English dictionary