Definition of interventionist in English:
Favouring intervention, especially by a government in its domestic economy or by one state in the affairs of another: an economy currently dominated by state ownership and interventionist policies
More example sentences
- Further, it has been suggested that the globalization of the world economy is making interventionist policies less meaningful.
- Their social exclusion is produced by the industrial and residential location processes inherent in all capitalist societies unless interventionist policies are put in place which remedy them.
- Most of the rest are either relatively secure or continually hampered by the interventionist policies going back nearly a century.
nounBack to top
A person in favour of interventionism.
- The unilateral interventionists still hold the reins of power within the GOP, largely because their champions dominate the West Wing and the Department of Defense.
- And in the United States, the Chile myth teaches contemporary interventionists that regime change works.
- Ultimately, Wilsonianism would find support mainly among the small current of democratic interventionists.
- Example sentences
- Although peacemaking allows a greater interventionism and activism in the construction of international order than at other historical periods, the results of these endeavours remain uncertain.
- Influenced by the nation's new status as the world's sole superpower, rabid interventionism became publicly acceptable.
- Aware that some of its European partners are not willing to the recognise the principle of interventionism, the British government is also seeking partners for its project outside of the EU.
Words that rhyme with interventionistreceptionist
Definition of interventionist in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan