Occurring between vowels: in intervocalic position
More example sentences
- South Indians tend to geminate voiceless intervocalic obstruents, as in ‘Americ-ca’.
- Consonant cluster reduction and intervocalic /t/ voicing, however, are better indicators of speech patterns, for they are far less likely than negative contraction to be regulated by a style policy.
- In compounds like Sugihara there is, and has been, variation as to what counts as intervocalic position.
- More example sentences
- In that tradition, written ‘h’ is not pronounced except intervocalically, where it is pronounced /k /; thus mihi is [miki].
Definition of intervocalic in:
- The US English dictionary