1Not tolerant of views, beliefs, or behaviour that differ from one’s own: as a society we are more intolerant of certain types of violence than we were in the past
More example sentences
- Researchers have found that Conservatives typically are dogmatic, intolerant of ambiguity with beliefs rooted in fear and aggression.
- People with these ideals are so ‘liberal’ that they come full circle to conservatism, completely intolerant of people with differing ideals.
- The difficulty is that, just as the religious right believes wholeheartedly that it is the one true way, secularists are adamant about their beliefs and intolerant of those who do not share them.
1.1Unable to be given (a medicine or other treatment) or to eat (a food) without adverse effects.
- Any parent who is concerned that a child may be allergic or intolerant to any food should get advice from their health visitor or GP.
- In 11 trials baseline pain was moderate to severe, and in five trials patients were only included if they were unresponsive or intolerant to conventional therapies.
- Those found to be intolerant could be prescribed alternatives to avoid the side effects.
1.2(Of a plant or animal) unable to survive exposure to (a particular physical influence).
- Our main aim was to examine if inherently different rates of fermentation during anaerobiosis characterize submergence-tolerant and intolerant rice plants.
- For my second wish, the development of a shade intolerant tree species that sheds its limbs readily to create knot free mature wood.
- Other studies have addressed the role of gaps, and especially large gaps in providing the habitat necessary for the regeneration of shade intolerant species.
- Example sentences
- And how can those who profess to revere this charismatic figure, propound views so intolerantly divergent from those of their great leader?
- In fact, there is a long history of social democrats acting intolerantly, and at times brutally, towards those further to the left.
- It is even more intolerantly communal in its attitude to the prophets and reformers within its own fold.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: in|toler¦ant
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.