Definition of intoxicate in English:
1 [with object] (usually as adjective intoxicated) (Of alcoholic drink or a drug) cause (someone) to lose control of their faculties or behaviour: he was charged with operating a vehicle while intoxicated
More example sentences
- We don't allow people into sessions if they are intoxicated by alcohol or drugs.
- The person is intoxicated through alcohol or drugs
- Kids who abuse inhalants often look and act as if they're intoxicated from drinking alcohol.
inebriate, make drunk, make intoxicated, make inebriated;
informal make legless, make woozy
informal tight, merry, the worse for wear, pie-eyed, three sheets to the wind, plastered, smashed, hammered, sloshed, soused, sozzled, well oiled, paralytic, wrecked, wasted, blotto, stewed, pickled, tanked up, soaked, blasted, ratted, off one's face, out of one's head, out of one's skull
British informal legless, bevvied, Brahms and Liszt, half cut, out of it, bladdered, trolleyed, mullered, slaughtered, lashed, well away, squiffy, tiddly, out of one's box
Scottish informal fou
US informal jacked
euphemistic tired and emotional
1.1Excite or exhilarate (someone): he became intoxicated with his own power
More example sentences
- The excitement and anticipation of the opportunity intoxicated him.
- When she was certain that the embrace intoxicated him enough, she moved quickly and grasped the knife from his belt and pulled away harshly.
- Language intoxicated Vijayan; he delighted in the rhythms of Malayalam and its versatility in evoking the many moods of native landscapes and feeling.
exhilarate, thrill, elate, delight, captivate, enthral, entrance, enrapture, invigorate, animate, enliven, excite, stir, rouse, move, inspire, inflame, electrify;
fire with enthusiasm, fire someone's imagination
informal give someone a buzz, give someone a kick, bowl over, tickle someone pink
North American informal give someone a charge
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan