- 1Situated or done within the walls of a building: both intramural and churchyard gravesMore example sentences
- The exact number of subadult burials associated with each house stage cannot be specified, but for purposes of our inquiry the total number of intramural infant and child burials over two building stages is 14.
- However, this failed to occupy the entire area defined by the walls: excavations have shown that extensive intramural quarters were used for market gardens and craft workshops, normally located outside the walls of Roman towns.
- The remains of seven infants within intramural burial pits showed disturbances due to intrusive portholes that caused varying degrees of disarticulation and loss of elements.
- 2chiefly North American Taking place within a single educational institution: recreational intramural gamesMore example sentences
- Because all physical education classes and intramural practices or games are approximately 1 hour in duration, we described exposure in terms of hours of participation.
- For those of you who like to throw balls at people, this semester has also seen dodgeball added to the intramural program, a game that met its capacity on the first day of registration.
- In September, I served as the captain of the blue team in the Superintendent's Cup, my club's annual two-weekend co-ed intramural golf extravaganza.
- 2.2Situated or done within a community: an intramural social symbol within the tribeMore example sentences
- There is also another odd intramural competition within the first-floor bookstores, as there are some that specialized in importing the books from mainland China into Hong Kong.
- We spice up the action with a bit of intramural animosity between crewmembers, which gives the film an occasional shot of action, but mostly it's scenic.
- The institution may set up chess tournaments and prizes, or provide intramural work for electricians, and thereby increase the likelihood of learning to play chess or attaining competence as an electrician.
- 3 Medicine & Biology Situated within the wall of a hollow organ or a cell: an intramural haematomaMore example sentences
- Medically stable patients with intramural hematoma usually are managed conservatively with bowel rest.
- A constricted isthmic portion joins the ampulla to the uterine wall; the length of the oviduct that passes through the wall of the uterus is termed the intramural portion of the organ.
- Evidence also exists that the incidence of miscarriage may be increased in women with an intramural fibroid having in vitro fertilisation treatment.
More definitions of intramuralDefinition of intramural in:
- The US English dictionary