noun[mass noun] Biology
- Therefore, there is the potential for gene introgression across species via backcross of hybrid females to the parental species.
- This would rule out scenarios of numt evolution involving horizontal transfer or introgression between species.
- In the absence of selection against genetic introgression, the incipient species should fuse.
- Example sentences
- Plant biologists have long been comfortable with the notion that ‘good species’ can still exchange some genes via introgressive hybridization as have biologists concerned with hybrid zones.
- Incongruence among data sets can arise from various biological processes, including introgressive hybridization, recombination, and gene conversion.
- For instance, introgressive events, even when rare, may be more important than mutations as a source of novel genetic variability within taxa.
Mid 17th century: from Latin introgredi 'step in', from intro- 'to the inside' + gradi 'proceed, walk', on the pattern of egression, ingression.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: intro|gres¦sion
Definition of introgression in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.