- The male copulatory organ of an animal.More example sentences
- Unlike most bird species, drakes possess a penis-like intromittent organ, which allows males to deposit the ejaculate deep inside the female's reproductive tract.
- This may be facilitated by the possession of an intromittent organ by males, an extremely unusual feature in birds, occurring in only 3% of all species.
- However, in about half of the poeciliids, males do not display, females never cooperate during copulation and all matings are achieved by thrusting the intromittent organ toward the genital pore of apparently unaware females.
mid 19th century: intromittent from Latin intromittent- 'introducing', from the verb intromittere, from intro- 'to the inside' + mittere 'send'.
More definitions of intromittent organDefinition of intromittent organ in:
- The US English dictionary