1Put upside down or in the opposite position, order, or arrangement: invert the mousse on to a serving plate
More example sentences
- Today, we invert the stability and order of our world into an unstable and dangerous mirror image.
- In his letter On Humanism, Heidegger charges Sartre with merely inverting the Platonic order of essence and existence;
- The roof is essentially inverted or turned upside down compared to the standard roofing.
1.1 Music Modify (a phrase) by reversing the direction of pitch changes.
- After a spiky fugue the Passacaglia theme is also inverted.
- Bach chorales are transposed according to strict mathematical procedures, folk tunes are inverted and piled on top of one another, and the clumsy sound of an orchestrion is produced by a small orchestra.
- Here, Grechaninov inverts the middle movements order with the slow movement coming third and this Largo is extremely well constructed.
1.3chiefly Mathematics Subject to inversion; transform into its inverse.
- Write down the whole part as the next component of the continued fraction and invert the part after the decimal point.
- If you simply invert the numerator fraction and multiply it by the denominator, then you get the wrong answer; it comes out upside-down.
- He gives the reader the same method of dividing fractions as taught in schools today, namely invert the divisor and multiply.
1An arch constructed in an upside-down position to provide lateral support, e.g. in a tunnel.
- Moreover, the permanent concrete invert was constructed close behind the second-stage bench excavation.
- Usually used with an open invert, the Dur-A-Span culvert can promote fish passage even during the construction period if footings are prepared outside of the wetted perimeter.
- Forest road builders are finding that open invert or 1/2-pipe solutions are very useful for remote crossings where high fisheries values are identified.
- Example sentences
- The technique consists of establishing an invertibility-based fault detectability condition for the diagnostic model.
- Two methods of studying the invertibility of operators belonging to the above-mentioned algebras are described.
- Example sentences
- Although an invertible drive is easier to implement, self-righting is preferred, because although you can still drive, your weapon usually becomes useless when you're inverted.
- But because cryptographic functions must be invertible, must be fast to compute, and should have small key size and memory requirements, linear functions are irresistible.
- Alternatively, instead of using a paintbrush you could use a can of compressed air, which can be purchased at most electronics shops and automotive shops, buying a can that is invertible is a good idea.
Mid 16th century (in the sense 'turn back to front'): from Latin invertere, literally 'turn inside out', from in- 'into' + vertere 'to turn'.