Definition of invocation in English:
1The action of invoking someone or something: his invocation of the ancient powers of Callanish
More example sentences
- This affinity almost declares itself when he quotes Orwell endorsing Milton's invocation of ‘the known rules of ancient liberty’.
- The client then uses its filter registry to invoke the filters during a subsequent method invocation.
- Nevertheless, and despite Justice Kirby's ringing invocation of abiding freedoms, there are some pretty good reasons why the suppression order might well be regarded as appropriate in this case.
1.1 [count noun] An incantation used to invoke a deity or the supernatural.
- In the weeks ahead there will also be invocations to the deity.
- As soon as someone tells us how invocations of the supernatural will help us solve a problem, they will be embraced immediately.
- He dug through his list of incantations, invocations and other such spells to little avail.
1.2 [count noun] (In the Christian Church) a form of words such as ‘In the name of the Father’ introducing a prayer, sermon, etc.
- Thanksgiving and public prayer, the invocation of the name of God at the occasion of any major official gathering, are, in the practical behavior of the nation, a token of this very same spirit and inspiration.
- Make the presentation much more prayerlike, an invocation for the Spirit to help us with our own baptismal vows.
- True to form, he gave what amounted to a sermon, complete with invocations of god and a biblical quotation.
- Example sentences
- The youth music festival begins with an invocatory violin concert by Malavika and Sharada, both upcoming artistes.
- The hunters’ booming, percussive harp rhythms and urgent invocatory singing seemed to be everywhere.
- This segued into a musical section with the dancers joining the musicians, using gourds to enhance their invocatory circle and line dances.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia