Definition of invoke in English:
1Call on (a deity or spirit) in prayer, as a witness, or for inspiration.
- The milder and more beneficent forces of nature were addressed as female deities and invoked with prayers.
- Listen to our President invoking a deity or prayer in every one of his speeches, and maybe an answer will occur to you.
- But when the Goddess was invoked by the priestess, I felt what I had always experienced as the Holy Spirit come down.
1.1Summon (a spirit) by charms or incantation.
- Aladdin's nemesis, Jafar, has long since been despatched to the after-life, but his evil sister Nasira has found a way to bring back the dastardly villain by invoking the ‘spell of restoration’.
- A bearded sorcerer is busy invoking spirits with his incantation, his glazed eyes staring into the distance and all aglow in the dark.
- Then a grand puja is performed invoking the spirit of Pancha Ganapati in the home.
2Cite or appeal to (someone or something) as an authority for an action or in support of an argument: the antiquated defence of insanity is rarely invoked in England
More example sentences
- Back then the same arguments were used to invoke the people to vote, the same grim scenario of a hardliner-dominated regime who would stifle all the progress made were told and retold again and again.
- Many of the lefty bloggers have lately been pursuing one of their persuasion's favourite follies: selecting a congenial conclusion and then invoking spurious science to support it.
- The philosophy of ‘naturalism’ is imposed upon the evidence so that the authority of science is invoked for a secular view of the world.
2.2Give rise to; evoke: how could she explain how the accident happened without invoking his wrath?
3 Computing Cause (a procedure) to be carried out.
- The only possible operation is to read data when Read-Only Mode is invoked.
- Can I use a Java application instead of a JSP (JavaServer Page) to invoke a servlet on an application server?
- This article describes the steps to change the default image editor application, which is invoked from the Windows Picture and Fax Viewer.
- Example sentences
- One might have thought that invokers of national security would be alert to the menace.
- As a connoisseur, he considers himself equal to ‘the great seers, the invokers and encouragers of beauty’.
- The drama of his stylistic transformation, from explainer to invoker, says something about the oddity and confidence of this poet.