- 1The chemical element of atomic number 53, a non-metallic element forming black crystals and a violet vapour. (Symbol: I)More example sentences
- The halogens are a group of chemical elements that includes fluorine, chlorine, bromine, iodine, and astatine.
- The chemical element iodine is a major component of thyroid hormones.
- These can be found through the detection of gases such as sulphur dioxide, hydrogen sulphide, and vapours of mercury, iodine, and radon.
- 1.1A solution of iodine in alcohol, used as a mild antiseptic.More example sentences
- Identify landmarks and prepare the insertion site with iodine or alcohol solution.
- An iodophor/alcohol prep combines the benefits of iodine and alcohol in a water insoluble film.
- Apply ethanol, tincture or aqueous solution of iodine, if available.
A member of the halogen group, iodine occurs chiefly as salts in seawater and brines. As a constituent of thyroid hormones it is required in small amounts in the body, and deficiency can lead to goitre
early 19th century: from French iode (from Greek iōdēs 'violet-coloured', from ion 'violet' + -eidēs 'like') + -ine4.
More definitions of iodineDefinition of iodine in:
- The US English dictionary