- The exchange of ions of the same charge between an insoluble solid and a solution in contact with it, used in water-softening and other purification and separation processes.More example sentences
- Solutions passed through a filter bed of zeolite minerals undergo ion exchange as particular ions or molecules become trapped within the crystal lattice.
- A process called ion exchange exists whereby ions in solution are exchanged for ions that are bound on the surface of a resin.
- Tertiary treatment is a combination of treatments or advanced methods such as distillation, ion exchange, reverse osmosis, and the like.
More definitions of ion exchangeDefinition of ion exchange in:
- The US English dictionary