Definition of ionize in English:
1Convert (an atom, molecule, or substance) into an ion or ions, typically by removing one or more electrons.
- Once removed from an atom, an electron may in turn ionize other atoms or molecules.
- The complete spectrum of radiation from the sun contains a significant amount of high energy ultraviolet light and the energy of these photons is sufficient to ionize atoms or molecules.
- Radioactive elements in the sample or in the surrounding environment ionize the atoms in crystalline quartz, and the electrons become trapped by crystal defects.
1.1 [no object] Become converted into an ion or ions; undergo ionization.
- The absorption of calcium is dependent on its becoming ionized in the intestines.
- But despite frequent theorizing to the contrary, the lower-frequency beams don't ionize; they pack just enough punch to penetrate and reflect but not to separate electrons from atoms entirely.
- Evidently, any disruption of the HB-net between Glu - 222 and Tyr - 66 should eliminate the Cro reprotonation in the GS, which would then remain permanently ionized.
- ionizable adjective
- Example sentences
- In a conventional molecular dynamics simulation the protonation state of the protein is preset and kept fixed according to the known pK values of the ionizable side chains.
- Hydrogen-bonding interactions play key roles in regulating the pK a values of ionizable groups and in driving proton transfers.
- We find that the channel conducts when the ionizable residues near the extracellular entrance are fully charged and those near the intracellular side are partially charged.
- Example sentences
- Fast neutrons lose energy in the tumour via interactions with nuclei, rather than ionization, which causes cell damage that the body cannot repair.
- The second ionization potential is the energy needed to completely remove an electron from the valence shell of the ion that results from the first ionization.
- Their energy of motion rapidly dissipates in the form of heat, light, and ionization, creating short-lived streaks of light.
Definition of ionize in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.