Definition of ionize in English:
1Convert (an atom, molecule, or substance) into an ion or ions, typically by removing one or more electrons.
- Once removed from an atom, an electron may in turn ionize other atoms or molecules.
- The complete spectrum of radiation from the sun contains a significant amount of high energy ultraviolet light and the energy of these photons is sufficient to ionize atoms or molecules.
- Radioactive elements in the sample or in the surrounding environment ionize the atoms in crystalline quartz, and the electrons become trapped by crystal defects.
1.1 [no object] Become converted into an ion or ions; undergo ionization.
- The absorption of calcium is dependent on its becoming ionized in the intestines.
- But despite frequent theorizing to the contrary, the lower-frequency beams don't ionize; they pack just enough punch to penetrate and reflect but not to separate electrons from atoms entirely.
- Evidently, any disruption of the HB-net between Glu - 222 and Tyr - 66 should eliminate the Cro reprotonation in the GS, which would then remain permanently ionized.
- Example sentences
- In a conventional molecular dynamics simulation the protonation state of the protein is preset and kept fixed according to the known pK values of the ionizable side chains.
- Hydrogen-bonding interactions play key roles in regulating the pK a values of ionizable groups and in driving proton transfers.
- We find that the channel conducts when the ionizable residues near the extracellular entrance are fully charged and those near the intracellular side are partially charged.
- Example sentences
- Fast neutrons lose energy in the tumour via interactions with nuclei, rather than ionization, which causes cell damage that the body cannot repair.
- The second ionization potential is the energy needed to completely remove an electron from the valence shell of the ion that results from the first ionization.
- Their energy of motion rapidly dissipates in the form of heat, light, and ionization, creating short-lived streaks of light.
Definition of ionize in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan