Definition of irascible in English:
Having or showing a tendency to be easily angered: an irascible and difficult man
More example sentences
- But when this self-involvement is threatened, well, then we see how irascible, irritable and bad tempered stoners can be.
- Luc patiently visits his brother, uncomplainingly sticking by the bedside of this difficult and irascible man when everyone else deserts him.
- Yet he was famously thin-skinned and irascible, as I have good reason to remember, if any criticism became directed at himself.
irritable, quick-tempered, short-tempered, bad-tempered, ill-tempered, hot-tempered, thin-skinned, snappy, snappish, tetchy, testy, touchy, edgy, crabby, waspish, dyspeptic;
surly, cross, crusty, crabbed, grouchy, crotchety, cantankerous, curmudgeonly, ill-natured, ill-humoured, peevish, querulous, captious, fractious, bilious
rare iracund, iracundulous
- Example sentences
- She is at once an intellectual giant, the personification of hostile irascibility, and a kind and gentle great-grandmother.
- Wendy is more pragmatic, gently chiding staff who do not serve customers quickly enough, and acting as an emollient to those whose egos have been bruised by her father's irascibility.
- The only noticeable change was in his growing irascibility with the passing years.
- Example sentences
- How selfish he must think I am, she thought irascibly, tugging her long slender fingers through her hair to unravel the lacquered knots.
- There's more chance then of a top dog being snapped at its customised boots by a mongrel that irascibly, annoyingly, insistently does not know its place.
- ‘There wasn't a wall here before, last time I checked,’ I mutter irascibly into the hard concrete and slumped into the ground.
Words that rhyme with irasciblepassible
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan