Impossible to deny or disprove: irrefutable evidence
More example sentences
- It is impossible to believe, and yet the evidence is irrefutable.
- We had told Mr Blunkett's officials about our irrefutable documentary evidence before he wrote his article.
- There appears to be clear cause and effect evidence, but no irrefutable proof.
indisputable, undeniable, unquestionable, incontrovertible, incontestable, unassailable, impregnable, beyond question, indubitable, beyond doubt, beyond dispute, indisputable;
conclusive, definite, definitive, decisive, certain, sure, positive, sound, flawless, watertight, unmistakable, palpable, patent, manifest, obvious, evident, plain, clear, forceful, telling
- Example sentences
- Here Dembski's ‘refutability’ runs head-on into Popper's argument concerning the empirical irrefutability of strict or pure existential statements, such as the fundamental claim of intelligent design quoted above.
- The formulas of applied mathematics, the subject matter Venet is actually using, do not have the irrefutability of logical theorems, which are pure tautologies not involving statements about the outside world.
- Popper argued that the ories framed in such a way that no conceivable observation could falsify them were non-scientific; irrefutability was not a virtue of a theory but a vice.
- Example sentences
- Schlafly has a talent for making irrefutably obvious what was murky a moment before.
- Why do so many Americans believe what can be easily and irrefutably shown to be false?
- Why does Satan continue to tempt us even though we definitively and irrefutably belong to God?
Early 17th century: from late Latin irrefutabilis, from in- 'not' + refutabilis (from refutare 'repel, rebut').
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: ir|re¦fut|able
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.