Definition of irregularity in English:
noun (plural irregularities)[mass noun]
1The state or quality of being irregular: there is evidence that fraud and irregularity continue on a large scale the irregularity of his breathing
More example sentences
- Many projects have been listed and caught out, but they have not been involved in any irregularity or fraud.
- He pressed his body up against hers in a more intimate manner and she heard his every breathing irregularity.
- A council statement added: ‘One concerns a petty cash irregularity and the other concerns the use of council funds.’
asymmetry, lack of symmetry, non-uniformity, unevenness, crookedness, lopsidedness, contortion, deformity, jaggedness, raggedness, cragginess, indentation
inconsistency, unsteadiness, unevenness, fitfulness, patchiness, haphazardness, inconstancy, instability, variability, changeableness, fluctuation, unpunctuality, unpredictability, unreliability, volatility, fickleness, caprice;
abnormality, unusualness, uncommonness, strangeness, waywardness, oddness, unexpectedness, singularity, atypicality, anomaly, anomalousness, deviation, divergence, aberrancy, aberration, freakishness, peculiarity, curiousness, eccentricity, idiosyncrasy, quirkiness, unorthodoxy
1.1 [count noun] (usually irregularities) A thing that is irregular in form or nature: irregularities of the heartbeat financial irregularities
More example sentences
- He declined to go into detail about the nature of the irregularities or to name companies allegedly involved.
- He denies all charges except those of financial irregularities.
- Barnes said directors began noticing financial irregularities in September.
informal sticky-out bit
Words that rhyme with irregularityangularity, barbarity, bipolarity, charity, circularity, clarity, complementarity, familiarity, granularity, hilarity, insularity, jocularity, linearity, parity, particularity, peculiarity, polarity, popularity, regularity, secularity, similarity, singularity, solidarity, subsidiarity, unitarity, vernacularity, vulgarity
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Pakistan