Not connected with or relevant to something: an irrelevant comment theory can sometimes be hastily dismissed as irrelevant to the classroom
More example sentences
- Motive is important in detection and in arguing a case in court, but it is irrelevant to sentencing.
- The fact that they were under a compliance audit at this time is largely irrelevant to the issue.
- The Tories are totally irrelevant to this whole issue.
beside the point, not to the point, immaterial, not pertinent, not germane, off the subject, neither here nor there, unconnected, unrelated, peripheral, tangential, extraneous, inapposite, inapt, inapplicable;
unimportant, inconsequential, insignificant, of no matter/moment, of little account, trivial, negligible, minor, trifling, petty, superficial
- More example sentences
- He repeats - completely irrelevantly - the silliest and most discredited canards.
- That last line was added rather irrelevantly, but that is the Dean method.
- He added irrelevantly that the event had long enjoyed bi-partisan political support.