Definition of ischaemia in English:
noun[mass noun] Medicine
An inadequate blood supply to an organ or part of the body, especially the heart muscles.
- If a person is having low blood flow or ischemia of the heart, we would treat that.
- Although this may be secondary to sudden decompensation of chronic heart failure, myocardial ischemia is also common.
- In the lower extremities, arteriosclerosis causes ischemia of the calf muscles during ambulation.
- Example sentences
- Aspirin is used in many patients with heart failure caused by ischemic cardiomyopathy.
- Many people with ischaemic heart disease or diabetes have systolic dysfunction or heart failure.
- In clinical trials, about three women in 1,000 developed ischemic colitis over six months.
Definition of ischaemia in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan