Definition of ischium in English:
noun (plural ischia /-kɪə/)
The curved bone forming the base of each half of the pelvis.
- After further dissection, the surgeon exposes the pubic bone and identifies the ischium by palpation.
- The inferior, posterior portion of the coxal bone is the ischium.
- The pelvic component of the hip joint is called the acetabulum, which has contributions from the ischium, ilium and pubis.
- Example sentences
- The sacrotuberous ligament is a cartilaginous attachment of the sacrum to the ischial tuberosity.
- Defect or nonunion of the pubic and ischial rami is occasionally observed.
- In adolescent patients with a history of proximal hamstring injury and current ischial tenderness, a radiograph of the pelvis should be performed.
Definition of ischium in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan