Definition of islet in English:
1A small island.
- Two days later we are building a small driftwood fire on a tiny islet in the Barrier Islands a mile out into the open North Pacific.
- From the air the tiny islets of Funafuti atoll appear as a broken pearl necklace scattered on the blue throat of the tropical sea.
- Plans to build a house on an uninhabited islet off the south of Sanday were turned down by islands' councillors on Thursday morning.
2 Anatomy A portion of tissue structurally distinct from surrounding tissues.
- The center brings together Emory University's transplantation programs in heart, lung, liver, kidney, pancreas and islet.
- If you obtain this tissue at a very defined point in time, then you can see development into islets.
- The tissue sections and the isolated islets of rats and monkeys were stained with haematoxylin.
2.1 (islets) short for islets of Langerhans.
- Finally, in some transplanted patients, donor islets function well initially, but in time diabetes recurs.
- Specific tests were used to identify rat and monkey islets after isolation.
- It resides in masses of tissue in the pancreas called islets.
Definition of islet in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan