Definition of isolationism in English:
A policy of remaining apart from the affairs or interests of other groups, especially the political affairs of other countries: the country chose a policy of isolationism that made it a secondary player in world political events sectarian isolationism
More example sentences
- In the 1930s, American politics were characterized by isolationism in foreign policy and a preoccupation with internal affairs.
- Quite frankly at this point a policy of isolationism would be fine with me.
- The reason for this doctrine was perhaps explained by the curious American policy of isolationism.
isolationist noun & adjective
- Example sentences
- The political movement in which it was based became increasingly nationalistic and isolationist.
- In contrast to pacifists, isolationists can favor unilateral military action.
- Once, before World War II, the mainstream Republican Party was isolationist.
Definition of isolationism in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.