Definition of isolationism in English:
A policy of remaining apart from the affairs or interests of other groups, especially the political affairs of other countries: the country chose a policy of isolationism that made it a secondary player in world political events sectarian isolationism
More example sentences
- In the 1930s, American politics were characterized by isolationism in foreign policy and a preoccupation with internal affairs.
- Quite frankly at this point a policy of isolationism would be fine with me.
- The reason for this doctrine was perhaps explained by the curious American policy of isolationism.
isolationist noun & adjective
- Example sentences
- The political movement in which it was based became increasingly nationalistic and isolationist.
- In contrast to pacifists, isolationists can favor unilateral military action.
- Once, before World War II, the mainstream Republican Party was isolationist.
Definition of isolationism in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan