noun[mass noun] Biochemistry
A hydrophobic amino acid that is a constituent of most proteins. It is an essential nutrient in the diet of vertebrates.
- Chemical formula: CH3CH2CH(CH3)CH(NH2)COOH
More example sentences
- Key essential amino acids are valine, leucine, isoleucine, tryptophan and methionine.
- Contents of alanine, valine, isoleucine, and leucine were increased by anaerobic conditions.
- ALS is a mitochondrial enzyme involved in the biosynthesis of the branched-chain amino acids isoleucine and valine.
More definitions of isoleucineDefinition of isoleucine in:
- The US English dictionary