Definition of isotherm in English:
1A line on a map connecting points having the same temperature at a given time or on average over a given period.
- Humboldt used lines, called isotherms, to delineate regions of equal temperatures.
- Put differently, isotherms are as important as latitudes in determining what constitutes Arctic and Subarctic regions.
- The Curie isotherm is a temperature surface in the Earth's subsurface connecting depths at which Curie temperatures are reached.
1.1 Physics A curve on a diagram joining points representing states of equal temperature.
- The corresponding surface tension isotherms in the case of high lipid concentration are presented in Fig.7.
- This is consistent with the S shape of isotherms in all numerical models simulating temperature evolution in subduction zones.
- All data points in the adsorption isotherm represent an average of three experiments.
- Example sentences
- These solid-solution mixtures were placed in Erlenmeyer flasks and agitated in an isothermal shaker for 24 hr.
- For many biological applications, it is equally relevant to consider the phase behavior at varying osmotic pressures under isothermal conditions.
- Transcription mediated amplification is also an isothermal assay that targets either DNA or RNA but generates RNA as its amplified product.
- Example sentences
- To eliminate the physisorbed water, the sample (5-6 mg in an Al pan) was initially kept isothermally at 25°C under a constant flux of N 2.
- Hedgecock and RUSSELL reported that well-fed animals migrate to their cultivation temperature and move isothermally and that this thermotaxis behavior is modified by two kinds of experience.
- The SP - 2330 column was run isothermally at 180°C.
Pronunciation: /-ˈθəːm(ə)l/adjective& noun
Definition of isotherm in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia