Definition of isotherm in English:
1A line on a map connecting points having the same temperature at a given time or on average over a given period.
- Humboldt used lines, called isotherms, to delineate regions of equal temperatures.
- Put differently, isotherms are as important as latitudes in determining what constitutes Arctic and Subarctic regions.
- The Curie isotherm is a temperature surface in the Earth's subsurface connecting depths at which Curie temperatures are reached.
1.1 Physics A curve on a diagram joining points representing states of equal temperature.
- The corresponding surface tension isotherms in the case of high lipid concentration are presented in Fig.7.
- This is consistent with the S shape of isotherms in all numerical models simulating temperature evolution in subduction zones.
- All data points in the adsorption isotherm represent an average of three experiments.
- Example sentences
- These solid-solution mixtures were placed in Erlenmeyer flasks and agitated in an isothermal shaker for 24 hr.
- For many biological applications, it is equally relevant to consider the phase behavior at varying osmotic pressures under isothermal conditions.
- Transcription mediated amplification is also an isothermal assay that targets either DNA or RNA but generates RNA as its amplified product.
- Example sentences
- To eliminate the physisorbed water, the sample (5-6 mg in an Al pan) was initially kept isothermally at 25°C under a constant flux of N 2.
- Hedgecock and RUSSELL reported that well-fed animals migrate to their cultivation temperature and move isothermally and that this thermotaxis behavior is modified by two kinds of experience.
- The SP - 2330 column was run isothermally at 180°C.
Pronunciation: /ʌɪsə(ʊ)ˈθəːm(ə)l/adjective& noun
Mid 19th century: from French isotherme, from Greek isos 'equal' + thermē 'heat'.
Definition of isotherm in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.