Definition of isotonic in English:
1 Physiology (Of muscle action) taking place with normal contraction.
- These properties are in agreement with recent experiments on the isotonic response of single muscle fibers carried out by Edman and Curtin.
- A good example of isotonic contraction would be free weight training.
- This exercise piece is specifically designed for isometric and isotonic neck muscle testing and exercise.
2 Physiology Denoting or relating to a solution having the same osmotic pressure as some other solution, especially one in a cell or a body fluid.
- Any solutions, such as antibiotic or isotonic solution, should be included on the label.
- Vasopressin continued to act in patients excreting isotonic or hypertonic urine, so hypotonic intake must be avoided in them.
- Standard BAL was then performed using three aliquots of 50-ml sterile isotonic saline.
3(Of a drink) containing essential salts and minerals in the same concentration as in the body and intended to replace those lost as a result of sweating during vigorous exercise.
- When you start the London marathon, you've got crowds cheering, you've got pretty girls giving you isotonic drinks.
- I will start with nutritional supplements, gels, isotonic drinks, power bars and creatine.
- It was a mile and a half up a long hill, before I reached the next isotonic drinks station.
Early 19th century (as a musical term designating a system of tuning, characterized by equal intervals): from Greek isotonos, from isos 'equal' + tonos 'tone'.
- Example sentences
- When extracellular K + was replaced isotonically with Na +, ionic currents reversed at significantly more depolarized membrane potentials.
- In other studies, KCl in the electrode solution was substituted by NaCl isotonically to give a solution containing 65mM NaCl.
- Example sentences
- We used this convenient notation for simplicity, keeping in mind that this notation slightly overestimated the tonicity difference from isotonicity.
- Sodium chloride solutions having ionic strengths of 14.5 mM - 145 mM were prepared using distilled water, with sorbitol added as appropriate to maintain isotonicity.
- Once the solid material had been dissolved there could be a bit of adjustment to get the solution toward isotonicity.
Words that rhyme with isotonicanachronic, animatronic, bionic, Brythonic, bubonic, Byronic, canonic, carbonic, catatonic, chalcedonic, chronic, colonic, conic, cyclonic, daemonic, demonic, diatonic, draconic, electronic, embryonic, euphonic, harmonic, hegemonic, histrionic, homophonic, hypersonic, iconic, ionic, ironic, laconic, macaronic, Masonic, Miltonic, mnemonic, monotonic, moronic, Napoleonic, philharmonic, phonic, Platonic, Plutonic, polyphonic, quadraphonic, sardonic, saxophonic, siphonic, Slavonic, sonic, stereophonic, subsonic, subtonic, symphonic, tectonic, Teutonic, thermionic, tonic, transonic, ultrasonic
Definition of isotonic in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan