Definition of isthmus in English:
noun (plural isthmuses)
1A narrow strip of land with sea on either side, forming a link between two larger areas of land.
- Land routes are really old, especially through isthmuses.
- The British arrived almost a century ago to build the railroad that slices across the isthmus, linking the Gulf of Mexico to the Pacific Ocean.
- Only one study to date has used calibration points from the fossil record to estimate the divergence of sister species distributed on both sides of the isthmus.
2 (plural isthmi) Anatomy A narrow organ, passage, or piece of tissue connecting two larger parts.
- Thoracic aortic injuries most often occur at the aortic isthmus in the majority of the cases.
- It has 2 lobes, called the right lobe and the left lobe, joined by a narrow isthmus.
- The cervix forms the lower third, connected by a narrow isthmus to the main muscular body of the uterus.
Words that rhyme with isthmusChristmas
Definition of isthmus in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan