Definition of isthmus in English:
noun (plural isthmuses)
1A narrow strip of land with sea on either side, forming a link between two larger areas of land.
- Land routes are really old, especially through isthmuses.
- The British arrived almost a century ago to build the railroad that slices across the isthmus, linking the Gulf of Mexico to the Pacific Ocean.
- Only one study to date has used calibration points from the fossil record to estimate the divergence of sister species distributed on both sides of the isthmus.
2 (plural isthmi) Anatomy A narrow organ, passage, or piece of tissue connecting two larger parts.
- Thoracic aortic injuries most often occur at the aortic isthmus in the majority of the cases.
- It has 2 lobes, called the right lobe and the left lobe, joined by a narrow isthmus.
- The cervix forms the lower third, connected by a narrow isthmus to the main muscular body of the uterus.
Mid 16th century: via Latin from Greek isthmos.
Words that rhyme with isthmusChristmas
Definition of isthmus in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.