1 [mass noun] A drug made from the dried leaves of certain South American plants, which contain the alkaloid pilocarpine and promote salivation when chewed.
- In exanthematous fevers of all kinds jaborandi in small doses is the remedy par excellence.
- Both jaborandi and pilocarpine may cause headaches and can irritate the stomach and cause vomiting and nausea.
2Any of the plants that yield jaborandi.
- Several genera and species, in particular Pilocarpus jaborandi (family Rutaceae).
- Pilocarpus was at one time adulterated with spurious jaborandis, other foreign leaves, stems, dirt and mouldy leaves.
- Brushwood is represented by low and thick bushes, at the sides of the paths, formed by jaborandis, vassouras, and carquejas.
Early 17th century: from Tupi-Guarani jaburandi, literally 'a person who spits'.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: jabo|randi
Definition of jaborandi in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.