- 1A fast-growing tropical Asian tree related to the breadfruit.
More example sentences
- Artocarpus heterophyllus, family Moraceae
- Red mud paths dissect the vibrant green of paddy fields, the dense foliage of coconut, jackfruit, cashew, areca nut and bamboo plantations.
- Coconut palms, jackfruit, mango, orange, lime, and rubber trees, as well as coffee bushes, were cultivated.
- Local art shops sell a range of items, from mass-produced woodcarvings to high-quality, handmade items made by recognized masters in fine-grained ebony, jackfruit or sandalwood.
- 1.1The very large edible fruit of the jackfruit tree, resembling a breadfruit and important as food in the tropics.More example sentences
- One of the most intriguing fruits of its kind is the jackfruit, a close relative of the breadfruit, a starchy staple of most Caribbean diet.
- The lunch, which costs Rs.50, commences with seasonal fruits, which include mango, jackfruit, grapes or any of the citrus varieties in the form of shake, chutney or salad.
- However, she warned diabetics to be wary of fruits with moderate calorific values such as mango, pomegranate and jackfruit, and high calorie fruits such as dates and grapes.
late 16th century: from Portuguese jaca (from Malayalam chakka) + fruit.
More definitions of jackfruitDefinition of jackfruit in:
- The US English dictionary