- A toilet, especially an outdoor one.More example sentences
- A jakes, of course, was the Elizabethan word for a mouldy toilet.
- Nothing fancy, just a long drop, probably leading to a cistern that served several other jakes, but it was a luxury here.
- Bloom kicks open "the crazy door of the jakes." In the cobwebbed privacy of the biffy with "the stench of mouldy limewash and stale cobwebs" Bloom "eases himself".
mid 16th century: perhaps from the given name Jacques, or as the genitive of the pet name Jack (see jack1).
More definitions of jakesDefinition of jakes in:
- The US English dictionary