(also jamun tree)
Definition of jamun in English:
1A large evergreen Asian tree of the myrtle family, which yields edible fruit, tanbark, and fuelwood.
- Syzygium cumini, family Myrtaceae
- The drought-hardy jamun tree attains enormous height, and a well-grown tree could yield 80 to 100 kg of fruit.
- The wood of the jamun tree has unique water-resistant quality, which many trees could not boast of.
- The bark, seed, leaves, fruit and, in fact, every part of the jamun tree is believed to cure diabetes.
1.1The purplish edible berry of the jamun tree.
- Gulab jamuns can be prepared a day in advance, allowing them to fully soak overnight.
- But these bread gulab jamuns are not just easy to cook but also delicious to taste.
- The temperature should be adjusted to ensure that the gulab jamuns do not break or cook too quickly.
Early 19th century: from Hindi jāmun.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.