noun[mass noun] chiefly derogatory
Extreme patriotism, especially in the form of aggressive or warlike foreign policy: the popular jingoism that swept the lower-middle classes
More example sentences
- How would he differentiate between patriotism and jingoism; internationalism and xenophobia?
- The Irish way is the difference between patriotism and jingoism.
- Flag-waving, jingoism and professional sports go hand in hand.
extreme patriotism, blind patriotism, chauvinism, extreme nationalism, flag-waving, excessive loyalty to one's country, xenophobia;
hawkishness, militarism, warmongering, belligerence, bellicosity
- Example sentences
- There are the jingoists, the nationalists who just would want the Australian cricket side to win anything they ever enter.
- That would benefit everyone except Chirac and the other jingoists.
- It's easy to dismiss the jingoists, the English-only paranoiacs, the self-appointed culture police.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.