A length of timber or steel supporting part of the structure of a building, typically arranged in parallel series to support a floor or ceiling.
- Use plywood walk boards or wooden planks over the ceiling joists for support.
- These strips, or tracks, are attached to the ceiling joists and support the tiles.
- Do not step through attic floor joists onto the ceiling of the room below.
- Example sentences
- These buildings are often distinguished by a ‘cavity wall’ lining the pit and often have joisted floors.
- This is an invaluable concession as it will now allow flocks of breeding sheep and store lambs that are joisted out on other land to return to the farms from whence they came without having to go direct to the slaughter house.
- But Simon's writing sheds light only on how TV comedy is joisted together.
Words that rhyme with joistfoist, hoist, moist, unvoiced
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: joist
Definition of joist in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.