Definition of julienne in English:
- Today's dish is a baked trout with a mussel based sauce and a julienne of vegetables.
- Put whole potatoes into this exclusive automatic conveyor, and make hundreds of julienne fries in seconds.
- My companion wanted pork and took the waiter's advice on the spicy pork julienne.
verb[with object] Back to top
- I pondered whether to fritter away £1.65 on one those gizmos that juliennes carrots.
- On a recently aired episode, after instructing a volunteer to julienne some vegetables, Flay jeers at her inferior knife-work, inciting the rest of the room to laugh at her expense.
- Some shred the beetroot, some julienne it, and some cube it, while modernists whiz it in a food processor.
early 18th century (originally as an adjective designating soup made of chopped vegetables, especially carrots): French, from the male given names Jules or Julien, of obscure development.
Words that rhyme with julienneAdrienne, again, amen, Ardennes, Behn, Ben, Benn, Bren, cayenne, Cévennes, Dairen, den, en, fen, gen, glen, Glenn, Guyenne, Gwen, hen, Karen, ken, Len, Loren, men, Nene, Ogaden, paren, pen, Penn, Phnom Penh, Rennes, Shenzhen, Sun Yat-sen, ten, then, Tlemcen, when, wren, yen, zazen, Zen
Definition of julienne in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.