- 1(In Hawaii) a pig baked underground in an imu until the meat is very tender: two kalua pigs are usually prepared for each luau (In Hawaii) pig baked underground in imu until meat is very tender.More example sentences
- The kalua pig is usually the centerpiece of a Hawaiian luau.
- An earthen oven called an imu is used to expertly roast kalua pigs, the most popular lu'au food.
- When I wasn’t in the water, I was grilling or barbecuing—mostly with my Dad, who cooked kalua pigs at luaus.
- 1.1 (also kalua pork) [mass noun] The meat of a kalua pig, or pork cooked in a manner intended to resemble this, typically pulled apart into small pieces for serving: the taro farmers fed us kalua pig try classic Hawaiian-style kalua porkMore example sentences
- Hungry for the kalua pork he grew up eating in Hawaii, Gary developed an easier and quicker version.
- Here, a group of women dance a traditional hula on stage, while the crowd enjoys native dishes such as lomi lomi salmon and kalua pig.
- I ordered Hawaiian-style eggs Benedict: poached eggs on savory kalua pig and taro hash.
from Hawaiian kālua, literally 'baked in an underground oven'.
More definitions of kalua pigDefinition of kalua pig in:
- The US English dictionary