noun (plural same)
1A member of a people living mainly in Kanara, a district in SW India.
- The great majority of Kanarese (85.9 percent) are Hindus, but 11.1 percent of the state's population is Muslim and 2.1 percent Christian.
- These are Klings and not Kanarese, because the people of this province of Talimgo are more graceful.
2 another term for Kannada.
- The Dravidian languages have all and the same word for medicine and gunpowder; in Tamil marundu, in Telugu mandu, in Kanarese maddu, and in Malayalam, maruna.
- Beside the descriptive grammar based on the inscriptions there are numerous historical and comparative sections in the book, tracing the history of Kanarese.
- Beals only spoke Kanarese so it was difficult for him to stay in a village where another language was spoken.
Relating to Kanara, its people, or their language.
- I said above that the Kanarese alphabet is not quite suited to the Konkani language, because there are some sounds which cannot be expressed exactly by the Kanarese alphabet.
- The society is committed to the promotion and publication of Kanarese literature.
Words that rhyme with KanareseAchinese, Ambonese, appease, Assamese, Balinese, Belize, Beninese, Bernese, bêtise, Bhutanese, breeze, Burmese, Cantonese, Castries, cerise, cheese, chemise, Chinese, Cingalese, Cleese, Congolese, Denise, Dodecanese, ease, éminence grise, expertise, Faroese, freeze, Fries, frieze, Gabonese, Genoese, Goanese, Guyanese, he's, Japanese, Javanese, jeez, journalese, Keys, Lebanese, lees, legalese, Louise, Macanese, Madurese, Maltese, marquise, Milanese, Nepalese, officialese, overseas, pease, Pekinese, Peloponnese, Piedmontese, please, Portuguese, Pyrenees, reprise, Rwandese, seise, seize, Senegalese, she's, Siamese, Sienese, Sikkimese, Sinhalese, sleaze, sneeze, squeeze, Stockton-on-Tees, Sudanese, Sundanese, Surinamese, Tabriz, Taiwanese, tease, Tees, telegraphese, these, Timorese, Togolese, trapeze, valise, Viennese, Vietnamese, vocalese, wheeze
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: Kan¦ar|ese
Definition of Kanarese in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.