- (In Hawaiian traditional culture and religion) a set of rules and prohibitions for everyday life.More example sentences
- Likewise, the focus of the ancient Hawaiian kapu or law sought to focus on the relationships of kauwa not only with the kahuna and aliyi, but with all of the other groups.
- With Kamehameha's death, the traditional system of laws or rules, called kapu, had begun to crumble.
- Until the reign of the iconoclastic Kamehameha II, Hawaiian culture was dominated by a rigid set of kapu, or taboos, sacred laws forbidding things like men and women eating together.
More definitions of kapuDefinition of kapu in:
- The US English dictionary