Definition of karyotype in English:
nounBiology & Medicine
The number and visual appearance of the chromosomes in the cell nuclei of an organism or species.
- This method seems to be applicable, but it is very time consuming and will be subject to difficulties in species with karyotypes that include chromosomes of very different size.
- The distribution of acrocentric chromosomes among the karyotypes of species in each branch is shown.
- After therapy or with disease progression, karyotypes often vary from karyotypes at diagnosis.
- Example sentences
- Typically, altered gene dosage caused by karyotypic abnormalities results in embryonic lethality or birth defects.
- Macropodine marsupials (kangaroos and wallabies) offer unique insights into current theories expositing centromere emergence during karyotypic diversification and speciation.
- In addition, various karyotypic and genetic studies have found limited amounts of change in chromosomes and DNA sequences when different species of acipenseriforms are compared.
Definition of karyotype in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.