Definition of karyotype in English:
nounBiology & Medicine
The number and visual appearance of the chromosomes in the cell nuclei of an organism or species.
- This method seems to be applicable, but it is very time consuming and will be subject to difficulties in species with karyotypes that include chromosomes of very different size.
- The distribution of acrocentric chromosomes among the karyotypes of species in each branch is shown.
- After therapy or with disease progression, karyotypes often vary from karyotypes at diagnosis.
- Example sentences
- Typically, altered gene dosage caused by karyotypic abnormalities results in embryonic lethality or birth defects.
- Macropodine marsupials (kangaroos and wallabies) offer unique insights into current theories expositing centromere emergence during karyotypic diversification and speciation.
- In addition, various karyotypic and genetic studies have found limited amounts of change in chromosomes and DNA sequences when different species of acipenseriforms are compared.
Definition of karyotype in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan