Definition of kava in English:
1 [mass noun] A narcotic sedative drink made in Polynesia from the crushed roots of a plant of the pepper family.
- In many cultures, men and occasionally women retire each evening to the nakamal to prepare and drink kava, an infusion of the pepper plant.
- All chief ceremonies, however, regardless of village, culminate in the kava ceremony wherein the candidate drinks kava for the first time as the new chief.
- Also, avoid combining kava with alcohol or sedatives.
2The Polynesian shrub from which kava is obtained.
- Piper methysticum, family Piperaceae
- The first version portrays him as parting the sea with a cycas leaf, the second adds soil enclosed in a wild kava leaf and a bamboo flute to the ritual paraphernalia of departure.
- If you have mood disorders such as depression, currently take mood-altering medication or have Parkinson's disease, avoid the herb kava.
- My neighbor says the herb kava is a natural way to calm nerves.
Late 18th century: from Tongan.
Words that rhyme with kavabalaclava, Bratislava, carver, cassava, Costa Brava, guava, Java, larva, lava, palaver
Definition of kava in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan