Definition of kenosis in English:
(In Christian theology) the renunciation of the divine nature, at least in part, by Christ in the Incarnation.
- Herbert appeals to the imagery of divine kenosis.
- For Bulgakov, kenosis, the divine self-diminution, is the core revelation of who God is.
- Theology has typically confined the concept of kenosis to the incarnation of the Son.
- Example sentences
- If, at the same time, we understand divine judgment as kenotic and eschatological, we will be driven to deny that anything we understand by judgment might represent it.
- The divine judgment is unexpected, kenotic, eschatological, and apophatically affirmed and denied.
- This in no way means that God is powerless, as some critics of kenotic theology have complained.
Definition of kenosis in:
- US English dictionary