Definition of ketosis in English:
noun[mass noun] Medicine
A condition characterized by raised levels of ketone bodies in the body, associated with abnormal fat metabolism and diabetes mellitus.
- The urine ketone dip test was highly sensitive for diabetic ketoacidosis and diabetic ketosis with or without acidosis.
- Three key features of diabetic acidosis are hyperglycemia, ketosis, and acidosis.
- The real danger in ketosis is that ketones are acidic, and high levels of ketones make the blood abnormally acid.
- Example sentences
- Other ketotic states such as alcoholic and starvation ketosis can also produce a positive urine ketone test without corresponding serum ketones, affecting the specificity of the urine dip test for detecting ketonemia.
- I was constipated, energy-less, had ketotic breath and was just generally miserable.
- If I see a cow looking a little ketotic, I give her a bottle of dextrose and a little grain, and that usually takes care of it.
Definition of ketosis in:
- US English dictionary