Definition of kidney in English:
noun (plural kidneys)
1Each of a pair of organs in the abdominal cavity of mammals, birds, and reptiles, that excrete urine.
- Treatment must be rapid to protect organs such as the kidneys, lungs, and liver from damage.
- In addition, waste materials cannot be transported properly to the lungs and kidneys for excretion.
- They each had their own head, arms, legs, brain, heart, lungs, kidneys and liver.
1.1 [mass noun] The kidney of a sheep, ox, or pig as food.
- It's poached skate with fennel or lamb kidney sausage on bacon and onion bread.
- The skewer lay on a vol-au-vent filled with a lightly truffled fudge of sweetbread and kidney, a faint lemoniness danced on my tongue.
- Follow that with steamed oxtail, beef and veal kidney pudding with roast shallots and buttered carrots.
Middle English: of obscure origin.