Definition of kindling in English:
1Small sticks or twigs used for lighting fires.
- In the forest there is no shortage of kindling, sticks, short logs or anything else needed to kindle a vigorous campfire and keep it burning effortlessly.
- They scrounged for pine cones for the fires, and both became adept at chopping kindling.
- There was a small stack of dry wood and kindling in the cave.
2(In neurology) a process by which a seizure or other brain event is both initiated and its recurrence made more likely.
- Although the significance of kindling in alcohol withdrawal is debated, this phenomenon may be important in the selection of medications to treat withdrawal.
- This is consistent with the results showing that variations in post-surgical delay have no effect on the subsequent rate of kindling.
- These studies comprise two general lines of inquiry that include studies of the phenomena of long-term potentiation and kindling.
Definition of kindling in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan