A low-growing inconspicuous plant of the pink family, which grows in temperate regions of the northern hemisphere.
- Genus Scleranthus, family Caryophyllaceae
More example sentences
- I saw no shepherd's purse after December 27th, but knawel was in flower as late as January 18th.
- Other related species include stitchwort and chickweed, catchflies, knawels, pearlworts and sea-spurreys.
- Self-pollination allows for distinct races to develop and several sub-species of annual knawel have been recognised, however their status in Ireland has not been investigated.
late 16th century: from German Knauel, Knäuel 'knotgrass'.
More definitions of knawelDefinition of knawel in:
- The US English dictionary