Definition of knurl in English:
A small projecting knob or ridge, especially in a series around the edge of something.
- When I grabbed the gleaming chrome door handle, I felt machined bumps, or knurls, that provide extra grip.
- These knurls are slightly harder and in most applications deliver a substantial increase in tool life.
- The slots for the knurls are not critical and can easily be cut using a hacksaw and a file.
early 17th century: apparently a derivative of knur.
- Example sentences
- The blade is held by pins and maintained in place by threaded studs and knurled clamp nuts.
- A simple twist of the knurled handle locks the collar in any position along the shaft.
- Turning a knurled adjustment wheel moves the right side scope for individual adjustment.
Definition of knurl in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan