A small projecting knob or ridge, especially in a series around the edge of something.
- When I grabbed the gleaming chrome door handle, I felt machined bumps, or knurls, that provide extra grip.
- These knurls are slightly harder and in most applications deliver a substantial increase in tool life.
- The slots for the knurls are not critical and can easily be cut using a hacksaw and a file.
- Example sentences
- The blade is held by pins and maintained in place by threaded studs and knurled clamp nuts.
- A simple twist of the knurled handle locks the collar in any position along the shaft.
- Turning a knurled adjustment wheel moves the right side scope for individual adjustment.
Early 17th century: apparently a derivative of knur.
Words that rhyme with knurlbirl, burl, churl, curl, earl, Erle, furl, girl, herl, hurl, merle, pas seul, pearl, purl, Searle, skirl, squirl, swirl, twirl, whirl, whorl
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: knurl
Definition of knurl in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.