Definition of lack in English:
noun[mass noun] (usually lack of)
The state of being without or not having enough of something: there is no lack of entertainment aboard ship the case was dismissed for lack of evidence [in singular]: there is a lack of parking space in the town
More example sentences
- Jagger's conclusions are similar: ‘There is a shocking lack of evidence in this case,’ she says.
- The Iowa straw poll is just another example of the general lack of enthusiasm for the GOP field.
- Much of the country is suffering severe lack of water, and the small quantities supplied are not good for human use.
absence, want, need, deficiency, dearth, insufficiency, shortage, shortfall, scarcity, paucity, unavailability, scarceness, undersupply, deficit, scantiness, sparseness, meagreness, inadequacy, shortness, deprivation, destitution, privation, famine, drought, poverty, non-existence, rareness, infrequency, uncommonness
rare exiguity, exiguousness
verb[with object] Back to top
Be without or deficient in: the novel lacks imagination [no object]: she lacks in patience Sam did not lack for friends
More example sentences
- What they lack in experience they make up for in attitude.
- This case hardly lacks for bizarre elements.
- Company executives will not lack for feedback about how they are doing.
be without, have need of, be in need of, need, be lacking, require, want, feel the want of, be short of, be deficient in, stand in need of, go without, be bereft of, be deprived of, be low on, be pressed for, not have enough of, be devoid of, have insufficient, cry out for;
informal be clean/fresh out of, be strapped for
Words that rhyme with lackaback, alack, attack, back, black, brack, clack, claque, crack, Dirac, drack, flack, flak, hack, jack, Kazakh, knack, lakh, mac, mach, Nagorno-Karabakh, pack, pitchblack, plaque, quack, rack, sac, sack, shack, shellac, slack, smack, snack, stack, tach, tack, thwack, track, vac, wack, whack, wrack, yak, Zack
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan